House construction requires different materials which means it must be studied. When buying steel bars, you need adequate research. These products are important for the structural system’s life. When constructing a building, steel bars, angle iron, and cement are among the most important materials to be used. The building’s strength has a direct relation to the strength of the steel bars.
Kinds of Steel Bars
There are two kinds of steel bars you can find on the market:
- Mild steel bars. These bars have a plain surface and round sections that have a 6mm to 50mm round sections. Mild steel bars can be made in long lengths. Cutting and bending them can be done easily and quickly without damage.
- High-strength formed steel bars. These steel bars are available with surface lugs, deformation, and ribs to improve their bond with concrete. The best quality steel bars for building work are cold twisted deformed bars.
Reasons for Buying Steel Bars
Construction works require steel bars as reinforcement in RCC structure. The weakness of concrete in tension and strength in compression are compensated by having steel bars in concrete to increase its tensile strength. This makes it important to pick the right kind and grade of steel bars depending on the requirement.
Steel Bar Quality and Specifications
To check the quality of steel bars, it is necessary to purchase only the grade of steel based on the project’s requirement. The bars’ identification mark must be checked from the manufacturer. Also, the bars must not have any rust film on them. The diameter must be checked by vernier calliper.
Below are other things to pay attention to choose high-quality steel bars:
- Rolling margin. The rolling margin is percentage deviation can be checked in weight of reinforcement steel. This factor is an important consideration when purchasing steel bars in tonnes and getting paid in lengths. The supplier should be able to provide a chemical composition test.
- Readymade cut bars. When buying these steel bars, the shape and length of every kind of bar must be checked as per bending schedule. Also, buyers must check nos and stack every bar separately. The quantity, length, shape, and hooks must also be checked.
- Certification. Quality bars bear a national certification such as JIS G3112, IS 432, BS4449, and others. Aside from guaranteeing the steel bar’s reputation, the certification assures the reputation of the manufacturer.